Anyone with a dog knows the importance of treats goes way beyond their nutritional value. Yes, it can be a good idea to supplement your dog’s diet with the odd between-meal snack, but the most valuable function of a dog treat is the role it plays in forging a bond between you and your pet.
For most dog owners, treats quickly become an invaluable training tool. Treats are a simple, gratefully received mechanism for rewarding your furry friend and instilling good behavioural habits in a positive fashion. Apart from anything else, giving your dog a well-earned treat is a display of affection that they really appreciate. Not convinced? Try counting the number of tail wags per treat!
Choosing the right treat
Because treats can play such a vital role, it’s important to make sure they aren’t having an adverse health impact. Too many unhealthy treats can lead to obesity, which in turn leads to health issues and a diminished quality of life.
So if you're looking for a healthy snack for your pet, keep the following in mind:
- Ingredients should be all natural
- No added sugar or unhealthy chemical additives
- Stick to simple ingredients so you know what you’re feeding your dog
- Look for treats that have been prepared in a healthy way. Food that has been slowly baked at a low temperature maintains the quality of the nutrients.
The Golden Rule on Treats
Dog treats can never replace a balanced diet in the long run. Instead,treats should be seen as exactly that: an enjoyable supplement to a dog’s daily diet. It’s the canine equivalent of having a piece of chocolate after dinner. The number of treats should never exceed 5 - 10% of the daily amount of calories that your dog is allowed to eat. We advise keeping a note of this: it’s so easy to give your pet more treats than is really good for them.
Timing is….. everything
So. We’ve established that healthy treats are the way to go (particularly when they’ve been specifically developed to delight your dog without negatively impacting their health). Sometimes you, as an owner, want to give that little bit of extra attention to your four-legged friend by pampering them with a yummy delicacy. Our product range includes the perfect snack for every daily ‘treat’ situation.
- Looking for a way to simply say ‘I love you’ to your dog? Our jerky's are the ideal solution.
- Need a bit of fuel for extra adventures? Our on-the-go bars will keep your dog full of energy if dinner is going to be later than usual.These treats are perfect for stashing in your bag when you’re out and about with your four-legged friend.
- Want to let your dog know he’s made you proud? Our pocket-sized bites are the perfect reward or training tool! They’re small enough to keep your dog trim and more than tasty enough to be considered ‘treat-worthy’. While some good habits are harder to instil than others, most owners find treats – along with plenty of praise and affection - are central to their training efforts.